This message contains partner links for which we can receive a commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase through our links. As Amazon employees, we can make money with eligible purchases. Read more.
Do you see an error message about insufficient memory in Steam if you have enough memory on your computer?
It’s more common than you think. Steam games generally require a large storage space of a few gigabytes. There may be many reasons why you see the missing memory error in Steam.
With more than 21 million consecutive users, Steam is one of the most popular game platforms. Since its inception in 2003, Steam has grown in popularity and it’s hard to imagine the game world without Steam!
In this article we will talk about the lack of disk space in Steam and how you can remedy this.
Hard disk space error: General causes
There are several reasons why there may be a lack of space in your steamer. The reasons for this have to do with the hard disk of your computer or your steam files.
Here are some of the most common reasons why steam runs out:
- Administrative privilege : Steam displays an error message for disk space if it is not allowed to display free space on your computer. Granting appropriate access rights could solve this problem.
- Steam files : Corrupted or damaged steam files can also cause errors in the steam. Removing and reinstalling some files may solve the problem.
- Firewall or Antivirus : An antivirus or firewall often blocks certain applications or functions, especially those running in the background.
- Hard drive: A problem with your computer’s hard drive, such as B. bad sectors, can also cause steam interference due to insufficient memory. We will discuss the causes and solutions in detail.
Corrigendum 1: Reboot the computer to
The solution to any technical problem is to restart the computer. If you encounter the Missing Space error in Steam, restart your computer to ensure that no current updates or third party applications conflict with the Steam client.
Some updates may affect the basic configuration of the steam client. Rebooting the computer also helps to solve this problem by ensuring that the data is entered correctly.
If a third party application conflicts with a game download, rebooting your computer will kill the application and allow you to restart it.
Corrigendum 2: Charge the transparent cover Par
Cache data generated during downloading may also cause a mismatch between the spaces. Missing, damaged or corrupted files can also cause various errors.
Cleaning the steam download cache not only solves the problem of lack of space in the steam cache, but also speeds up the application.
To clear the download cache:
- Find the Steam Client application, right-click and select Run as Administrator.
- In the Steam Application window, click the Steam drop-down menu in the top left corner and select Settings.
- Open the Downloads tab in the left pane of the Settings window.
- Now scroll to the bottom of the window and click on Clear Download Cache.
Confirm the settings and wait for Steam to clear the download cache. When you’re done, save your settings and exit Steam.
Open the Task Manager, remove all steam-related processes and restart the steam. Before that:
- Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC to open the task manager.
- Browse through the list of processes running on your computer, find Steam (or Steam Files and Games), right-click and select End process.
After closing Steam via Task Manager, restart the application and check if the problem is solved.
Corrigendum 3: Repair library steam folder
Steam has a library folder for installing games and other related files. Similar to the program files in the Windows PC. Corrected data or missing items in the library folder can cause problems such as. B. Insufficient space on your steam drive.
How to fix the folder of the Steam Library:
- Open the Steam client, locate the Steam button in the navigation bar and select Settings.
- In the Settings window, click the Downloads tab in the left pane and the Steam Library folder in the right pane.
- In the next window, right-click on the library folder and select Restore Library Folder from the menu.
Corrigendum 4: Delete startup file
If you encounter an error while loading a game file, you may get a Steam Not Enough Space error. The incomplete game file conflicts with Steam and I’m not sure if it’s worth installing or reloading the game. Delete the file, reload it, and restart it to solve the problem.
To delete a downloadable file on Steam
- Open the Task Manager by simultaneously pressing CTRL + SHIFT + ESC.
- Right-click on the Steam Client Bootstrapper shortcut and select End of process.
It’s important: Delete all other processes related to the Task Manager workflow.
- Go to the Steam folder on your computer. The default location is C:Program Files (x86) Steam.
- Open on Steamapps > Download folder in your Steam folder.
- Delete the folder containing all downloaded files and the application ID of the downloaded game.
Restart your computer and run Steam as administrator. It can download some files, but should work as expected.
Corrigendum 5: Run Steam as director
The Missing Disk Space error also occurs when Steam does not have the administrative rights to make the necessary corrections. In this case, Steam cannot know how much memory is available because it does not have access to the memory.
By running the Steam client as an administrator, you can correct the Missing Space error in Steam.
To manage steam as administrator :
- Close the steam window (if it works).
- Locate the Steam client on your computer desktop, right-click and select Run as Administrator.
You can also search for steam on your computer and grant administrative rights. Before that:
- Press the Windows key on the keyboard to open the Start menu.
- Type steam in the search bar at the bottom left.
- In the search results, right-click on the Steam application and select Run as Administrator.
Pay attention: To continue, make sure that the user account on your computer also has administrator rights.
If running Steam as administrator helps, save your settings to run Steam as administrator each time you start it. Before that:
- Right-click in Steam and select Properties from the drop-down list.
- In the Properties window, open the Compatibility tab and select the Run this program as administrator checkbox. Press OK to save the settings.
Corrigendum 6: Disabling Firewall and Antivirus
Applications such as Steam often conflict with third party antivirus programs on your computer. Steam downloads games and updates in the background, so you don’t have to wait too long to play.
Steam also has access to various system configurations and adjusts them to enhance your experience. The Windows firewall often marks these processes as malicious and tries to block them. The firewall also blocks steam processes in the background, resulting in an error due to lack of memory.
To make sure that the antivirus program or firewall is not causing the problem, we can temporarily block them and see if the error dialog disappears. We cannot give you recommendations on how to disable third-party antivirus applications because the user interface of different applications is different.
In the Windows firewall, start blocking incoming connections and disable the firewall if the problem persists.
To disable the Windows firewall on your computer:
- Type Windows Defender Firewall in the search field in the lower left corner and open it.
- In the left pane, click Enable or Disable the Windows Defender Firewall.
- In the next window, clear the Block all incoming connections check box.
- Click OK to save your settings and exit the program.
Reboot the steam client application to see if the steam backup error has been corrected. Otherwise, disable the firewall.
- Select Disable Windows Defender Firewall for public and private networks.
It’s important: Activate the Windows Defender firewall immediately, whether the problem is solved or not. Follow the same steps as above, but this time choose to enable (instead of disable) the Windows Defender Firewall.
Corrigendum 7: Checking the integrity of the game file
The game files are very large, usually several GB. It takes a lot of space to load all components, and the computer must be able to run the graphics. Because downloading takes too long, some files may become corrupted or missing while downloading.
Steam allows you to check the integrity of your game files in the Steam client. It compares the game files on your computer with the latest files on the Steam Server. There is also a manifesto for each game installed on the computer. Because there are a lot of game files, instead of comparing each file separately, Steam compares the manifest on your PC with the manifest on the Steam servers, which can take several hours.
As soon as synchronization is complete, the unwanted files are deleted and (if necessary) updated.
How to check the integrity of game files on Steam :
- Open the Steam Client and click on Library in the navigation bar at the top left.
- In your Steam Library, right-click on the game with the bug and select Properties from the menu.
- In the Properties window, click on the Local Files tab and then click Check the integrity of the game file.
A new window will open in which Steam will analyze your game data. Damaged or missing files are reloaded and defective parts are repaired. This process may take some time, but once it is complete, Steam restarts and checks to see if the disk space error has been fixed.
Corrigendum 8: Steam plant route change
A missing disk space error often occurs when Steam does not accept the current installation path. We can try to set up a new file path (on a different disk) and install the games there. If changing the installation path solves the problem of steam memory depletion, there should be a problem with the previous path.
To change the installation path of the steam:
- Open Steam and click on the Steam button in the top left corner and select Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Open the Downloads tab in the left pane and click the Folder Steam Library option in the right pane.
- In the next window, click the Add Library Folder button.
- Select the player in the pop-up window and click the NEW TRANSLATION button.
Attention: Do not select the floppy disk originally used to install the program.
- After selecting the drive, create a new folder and give it a name. The name should be simple and unique, so that it is easy to find later on.
- Press OK to save the new folder.
Now open Steam and try to download the game again. When asked where you want to install the game, select the folder you just created. As soon as the game starts to load, see if the Steam save error reappears.
Corrigendum 9: Free space on the computer
If you run out of space on your computer to download and install games, Steam will display a spelling error. Sometimes you check the disk space and it is sufficient, but it takes up more space than appears on the web page when you download it.
The solution is to free up storage space by deleting or storing unnecessary data on a portable drive.
To free up space on your computer:
- Search and open this computer on your desktop.
- The screen shows all the disks on your PC and their storage space.
- Right-click on the station where the game is installed and select Properties.
- In the Properties window, open the General tab and click the Clean Disk button in the lower right corner.
- Windows will show you several options (checkboxes) that you can remove to free up disk space. Select all fields you can delete and click OK.
- After confirmation, Windows will start cleaning the disk space.
The process takes some time, depending on the size of the files to be deleted. When the process is complete, try reinstalling the game and check if the Steam save error has been fixed.
Corrigendum 10: Steam installation in a portable player
If there are several patches and sectors on the hard drive, you may experience the Steam Not Enough Space error. This is due to the fact that there are no successive backups available to install the game. In this case, you can connect a portable disk and install the games on it.
To install the steam games in the portable driver :
- Connect the portable drive to your computer or laptop.
- Follow the instructions in solution 8 to change the installation path. This time, change the installation path to the portable drive instead of selecting a drive.
After setting the installation path of the Steam file on the portable disk, go to the Steam Shop and try to download the game again. Then you must correct the memory error.
Corrigendum 11: Steam file update
If you’ve tried all the solutions and Steam is still slow, try updating your Steam game files. This saves the games and user data you downloaded and you don’t have to download everything again.
To update the Steam files, we remove the configuration files from the Steam client and force them to be reinstalled. This will replace any damaged or corrupted files.
It’s important: After deleting your Steam configuration files, you will be prompted to reconnect to Steam. Make sure you have your references to hand before trying to solve the problem.
To update your steam:
- Switch to the steam guide. By default it is in C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam.
- In the Steam folder, navigate to the following files and folders
- User data (folder): Contains data about the gameplay.
- Steamapps (folder): Contains the game files.
- Stoom.exe (file) : File executable by Steam.
Do not delete the user data file. In the folder Steamapps you will find ONLY the games you have problems with and remove them.
- Delete all folders in your Steam directory, except the ones listed above.
Now restart Steam as administrator. This ensures that all files are updated and kept up to date. Once the update is complete, the steam service should work as expected without any problems. If not, reinstall steam.
Corrigendum 12: Reset with
Steam reinstallation is a last resort if nothing else works. With this method we delete all files (except Steamapps), uninstall Steam Client and reinstall it.
To reinstall the Steam client on your computer :
- Navigate to the Steam folder (default location: C:/Programme Files (x86)/Steam).
- Scroll down to find and copy the Steamapps folder. Paste the folder temporarily in another place.
- Press Windows + R to open the command prompt for execution. Type appwiz.cpl and press Enter.
- In the Control Panel > Programs and Features window, search for Steam, right-click and remove it.
- Download the latest version of the steam installation from the official steam website.
- Double click and install the steam installation files.
- After installing Steam, copy and paste the folder Steamapps into the folder Steam. It’s important: The old Steamapps folder will be replaced by the new one in the Steam folder.
Restart the Steam client, load the game and see if Steam is still displaying a low memory error.
Correction 13: Check the hard disk for bad sectors.
If your hard drive has bad sectors, this is probably the reason for the steam space error. We can check the hard disk (where the Steam files and games are installed) for bad sectors and repair them.
It’s important: We recommend that you back up your data to a portable device or other location, as any information stored in a corrupted hard drive sector will be lost.
Check the hard drive for damaged sectors:
- Click on this PC on your desktop.
- A new window shows all the drives on your computer.
- Right-click on the disc on which you are installing the game and select Properties from the menu.
- In the Properties dialog box, click the Tools tab and then click Check in the Error Check section.
- In the next dialog box, check the Scan box and try to fix the bad sectors and click Start.
Error in space – pairs are missing: Conclusion
One solution was to solve the problem of the lack of memory on your computer. If this is not the case, there may be a temporary problem with Steam, or your computer may not be able to download and run the game.
not enough disk space but there is plenty steam,steam error not enough disk space reddit,steam disk space 0 bytes,steam disk space available 0 bytes,steam not enough disk space ark,how to free up disk space on steam windows 10,velocidrone not enough disk space,bns not enough disk space,clear the steam download cache,not enough free disk space,how to repair steam library folder,how to get more disk space on steam,steam cant find space,steam install 0 mb,steam ignore disk space,don t have enough disk space,please free up some disk space steam,steam says i have 0 mb,ark not enough disk space,not enough disk space error,not enough disk space dota 2,how to repair steam library files,steam says i don't have enough disk space mac,how to free up disk space on mac steam,how to save space in steam,not enough disk space reddit,how to clear steam download cache,steam not using disk