Some NVIDIA users report a problem when trying to update an NVIDIA driver on their computer. The update process fails to complete, resulting in an “NVIDIA installation error” error message. This usually happens because an old/incompatible driver is installed on the user’s computer. If you are experiencing the same problem, don’t worry. Try these solutions on your device and the problem will be solved in no time. However, try these workarounds first and see if they solve your problem.
Manual driver update via Device Manager
It’s the simplest solution. Sometimes it works like a charm, sometimes it doesn’t. Like a first date. Or the first wash after a taco.
- Right-click the monitor or the default VGA graphics card in the device list and use the driver software update.
- Specify the path to the unzipped NVIDIA driver folder (for example, C: NVIDIA DisplayDriver xxx.xx windows_version Display.Driver). If this folder is not present, you never ran the installation program.
- Then restart the computer.
- If the graphics card is successfully detected, run the NVIDIA installer again as usual. If nothing happens or the system continues to identify the graphics card as an All-in-One device, proceed to the next step.
Manually uninstall the NVIDIA display driver and reinstall it.
Updated January 2021:
We now recommend that you use this tool to fix the error. Moreover, this utility corrects common computer errors, protects you from file loss, malware and hardware errors, and optimizes your PC for maximum performance. With this software, you can solve and prevent computer problems quickly:
- Stap 1: Download de PC Recovery and Optimization Tool (Windows 10, 8, 7, XP, Vista – Microsoft Gold Certified).
- Step 2: Click on the “Start Scan” button to find Windows registry issues that can cause PC problems.
- Step 3: Click on the “Fix All” button to fix all the problems.
Driver installation can fail for several reasons. It may be that the user is running a program in the background that is interfering with the installation. If Windows is running Windows Update in the background, the driver installation may also fail. This article provides step-by-step instructions for uninstalling the NVIDIA display driver and manually installing a custom driver from the NVIDIA Game Ready Driver Installer.
- First, press the Windows key on your keyboard to open the Windows Search/Start menu.
- Type the words “Control Panel” on the keyboard.
- The control panel icon should appear during the search. Select this icon to open the Windows Control Panel.
- Once the Control Panel is up, find “Programs and Components” and double-click the icon to launch it.
- Select the NVIDIA graphics driver from the list of installed programs. If your PC has a long list of installed programs, you may have to scroll down to find the NVIDIA graphics driver. Click Uninstall / Edit to remove the NVIDIA drivers from your PC.
- Once the uninstallation is complete, restart the PC to apply the changes.
- Go back to the NVIDIA driver download archive page in Windows and download the latest driver (or an earlier version if you have problems with the latest driver version and a particular game/application). Save the file to your hard drive.
- Right-click on the file and select Run as Administrator (see screenshot below).
- When asked to manage your Windows account, click Yes.
- The installation program will ask for the extraction path. Most users should accept the default path. When the driver installation is complete, the extracted files will be automatically deleted from your PC. Select OK.
- You will then be asked to accept the NVIDIA Software License Agreement. Please read the contents and if you agree, click “ACCEPT AND CONDITION” to continue.
- Then select Custom (advanced). Then click Next.
- Select “Perform new installation” and press “NEXT”.
- When the installation is complete, restart the computer to complete the installation.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to diagnose Windows errors and optimize system performance.
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Convenience Store
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing computer professional. I have years of experience in computer programming, troubleshooting and hardware repair. I specialize in web development and database design. I also have CCNA certification in network design and troubleshooting.
Frequently asked questions
How can I correct an error in the installation of Nvidia on Windows 10?
After you upgrade your system to Windows 10, Windows Update will try to load and install the GPU drivers in the background. This can sometimes take as long as 5-10 minutes. If you try to install the NVIDIA driver at the same time, chances are you will get an installation error.
How can I correct Nvidia’s installation error?
These errors can be caused by poor system condition. If the software installation fails, the best first step is to reboot and try the installation again. If this does not help, try explicitly uninstalling the previous version (if applicable), rebooting, and then reinstalling.
How do I correct a Windows installation error with Nvidia drivers incompatible with the installation?
Bug fixing: This Nvidia graphics driver is not compatible with this …
nvidia drivers, nvidia driver install failed windows 10/2020, nvidia installer cannot continue, nvidia driver install failed windows 10 2019, nvidia driver install failed windows 7, nvidia driver failed to install windows 10, nvidia driver not compatible with this version of windows, nvidia installer failed reddit