In this article we will see how to install the Unifi controller on an Ubuntu machine.
Read also: 25 basic commands for the Linux terminal
To install the Unifi controller using the apt package manager, you must first make some changes. Specifically, we need to add the startup repository to the list of apt repositories.
Step one: Open the terminal and enter the following command. Press the Enter key when you are finished. This will update the list of apt repositories and install all the necessary dependencies.
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install ca-certificates apt-transport-https
Step two: Enter the following command to add a new source to the apt repo list.
echo ‘deb https://www.ui.com/downloads/unifi/debian stable ubiquiti’ | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/100-ubnt-unifi.list
Step three: Now we need to add the GPG keys. To do this, you can use one of the following two methods.
- Set the trust key in /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d : Type the following command into the terminal and press Enter.
sudo wget -O /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/unifi-repo.gpg https://dl.ui.com/unifi/unifi-repo.gpg
- Use the apt key: Type the following command into the terminal and press Enter.
sudo apt-key adv -keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com -recv 06E85760C0A52C50
Step four: Use the following command to install and upgrade the Unifi network controller.
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install uniformi -y
Note that some distributions may have a Java incompatibility error. To solve this problem, use the following command before the fourth step.
sudo apt-mark hold openjdk-11-*
Remember to run the following commands before installing Unifi on Ubuntu 18.04. Make sure MongoDB is installed on your operating system, this is a requirement for Unifi.
wget -qO – https://www.mongodb.org/static/pgp/server-3.4.asc | sudo apt-key add –
echo deb https://repo.mongodb.org/apt/ubuntu xenial/mongodb-org/3.4 multiverse | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb-org-3.4.list
sudo apt-get update
Installing the Unifi controller on Ubuntu 20.04 is pretty easy thanks to a shell script written by Github user davecoutts. This script loads and installs all the requirements and the Unifi controller on the Ubuntu machine in no time.
The davecoutts shell script can be found here.
All log files generated during installation are stored in the following locations. You can contact them to diagnose any problem related to the installation.
- If you run this configuration in a VM or on a headless machine, you may have entropy issues. Organize a stampede to do it.
- Since Unifi 5.6.x and the Unifi server do not run as root, you cannot associate them with privileged ports (<1024). The controller will not start if you use the wrong port.
- When installed on Debian or Ubuntu, the Unifi controller has no graphical interface because it operates as a service.
- Ubiquiti does not support arm64, which means the download is not available in the repository. These systems must be loaded and installed manually.
- For users with restrictive firewalls, the following command will help add the GPG key – apt-key adv -keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 -recv 06E85760C0A52C50
Also read : How do I change my MAC address on Windows and Linux?
The one who writes/cuts/films/owns all the technology, and when he’s not around, switches to virtual machine races. You can contact Yadullah at [email protected], or follow him on Instagram or Twitter.
frequently asked questions
How do I download and install the UniFi controller software?
Unified Controller Installation Guides…
How do I install a UniFi AP controller?
How do I access my UniFi controller?
install unifi controller ubuntu script,install unifi controller ubuntu 20,update unifi controller ubuntu,unifi controller docker,unifi cannot locate java home,ubiquiti,Feedback,Privacy settings,How Search works,unifi controller ubuntu 18.04 install script,uninstall unifi controller ubuntu