In this blog entry, you will find several methods you can use to insert or type a degree symbol or a degree sign (°) anywhere, such as For example, in Microsoft Word or Excel, whether you are using a Windows or Mac keyboard. You will learn all the simple methods, including the Alt key combination.
Without wasting time, let’s get started.
Degree symbol Abbreviation Guide (°)
To enter the diploma symbol anywhere on the keyboard of a PC or laptop (e.g., in MS Word or Excel), press Option + Shift + 8 for the Mac, or if using Windows, simply press the Alt key and enter 0176 using the numeric keypad on the right side of the keyboard.
However, to enter a character or diploma mark in Microsoft Word, press Ctrl + @ , space. You may need to press the shift key additionally before you can get started. The last keys are therefore more often Ctrl + Shift + @, Space. You can also just type 00B0 and then press Alt + X to get the character.
The following table contains everything you need to know to enter this character in Windows and Mac.
|Name of the symbol||Grade|
|Shortening of windows||Alt + 0176|
|Abbreviation of Mac||Variant + offset + 8|
|1. word abbreviation||Ctrl + @ , Space bar|
|2. Segment in the word||00B0, Alt X|
Whether you are using Windows or Mac, the above information is sufficient to write the diploma mark in a Word/Excel document.
However, if you are not satisfied with this quick help, read on as I explain in detail how to get the diploma icon or any other icon anywhere on your Mac or Windows PC, such as in MS Word/Excel/PowerPoint.
As you may already know, there are several dual-use keys on a Windows or Mac keyboard. That is, there are characters on the keyboard that are easily accessible as secondary keys. By simply pressing two or more keys at once, you can easily insert these characters into your work. If you z. B. Press Shift + $, and you get a dollar sign ($).
However, the other characters are not printed as second keys on the keyboard. It makes it harder to hit. One of these symbols is the degree sign (°).
Typing becomes very difficult for you if you regularly have to insert some of these characters in your work.
But it doesn’t have to be difficult. Especially as you read this step by step guide.
To enter a grade character in word/speed on the keypad
In the following sections, I will show you all the easy ways to type or paste this symbol (°) anywhere on your Windows or Mac PC (for example, in Word or Excel or PowerPoint).
In a few minutes I will explain some methods you can use to get this (°) and possibly another sign.
For quick reference, press Ctrl + @ , space on your keyboard to type the degree or degree symbol in Microsoft Word. This shortcut only works in MS Word. For Windows users outside MS Word: press the Alt key and type the code 0176 alt on the numeric keypad. On a Mac, you can also press Option + Shift + 8.
However, the methods are explained in detail below without going into further detail.
Method 1: Keyboard shortcutsSymbol keys (Windows and Mac)
The keyboard shortcut for Mac is Option + Shift + 8.
There are several keyboard shortcuts in Windows, some of which only work in Microsoft Word.
However, there is a Windows shortcut for the diplomat sign that works in all applications. This is a key combination called Alt+0176 (discussed in the next chapter).
The grade sign for Microsoft Word is Ctrl + @, Space or 00B0, Alt X.
These shortcuts only work in Microsoft Word.
To use the diploma label in Windows (for Word), follow these instructions :
- Place the cursor at the desired location.
- Press Ctrl + @ and then the spacebar at the same time. This label inserts a diploma symbol for you. To press Ctrl + @, you must press the Shift key and also have access to the keyboard shortcut @. So the last key combination is Ctrl + Shift + @, then the spacebar.
- Alternatively, you can type 00B0 on the keyboard and press Alt + X. This converts the numbers into a degree sign at the location where you placed the insertion point.
Learn how to use the Grade Icon Tag for Mac:
- First, place the cursor where you want to insert the character.
- Now simultaneously press Option + Shift + 8 on the Mac keyboard.
This key combination should insert the icon for you on your Mac PC.
In the next section, I will show you how to use the alt code of a degree sign to enter a character on the keyboard.
Method 2: Encryption level icon on keyboard (Windows)
Degrees (°) Symbol Alt-code 0176.
Each symbol in Word has a unique code that you can use to insert the symbol into your document. This code is also called the alt code.
Below are the steps for entering this character on the keyboard (using the Alt code above):
- Press the numeric keypad lock key to activate the numeric keypad. Use Fn + NumLk to enable numeric keypad lock on laptops without a numeric keypad.
- Hold down the Alt key and enter 0176 using the numeric keypad.
- After entering the Alt code (e.g. 0176), release the [Alt] key.
Once you release the Alt key, a degree (°) symbol should appear in the document.
Method 3: Copy and paste the diploma symbol
Use the button below to copy and paste the diploma symbol for your work.
My preferred method for pasting characters I can’t type is copy and paste.
With this method, all you have to do is type the character you want to type into Google and copy it from one of the search results. Once you have pasted a symbol into a document, you can copy and paste it again whenever you need it.
Use the button above to put this character on your clipboard.
There is another way to copy this character and any other character in Windows. This is due to the use of the Windows character statement.
Follow these steps to copy and paste any character using a character card.
- Find the Character Map application by pressing the Start key.
- The Character Map application appears in the search results. Click on it to start it.
- Once the drawing sheet window is open, click the Advanced View checkbox to enlarge the window and get more options.
- In the advanced view, enter the degrees in the search field.
- The symbol you are looking for (i.e. the degree symbol) now appears in the symbol map. Double-click it to select it. You will see the icon appear in the Symbols to copy text box. Allows you to select and copy multiple characters at once.
- After selecting the character you want to copy, click the Copy button.
- Go to the place where you need the symbol, whether in MS Word, Excel or PowerPoint, and press Ctrl + V to paste it.
How do I copy and paste a degree sign using the character map in Windows.
Method 4: Using the dialog box for inserting characters
This approach is not as simple as the quick methods. But it’s very simple.
And once you’ve inserted a symbol into a document, you can copy and paste it whenever you need it in your work.
The following section describes the steps for inserting a diploma character into a word using the Insert dialog box.
- On the Insert tab, click on the Symbol button and select More Symbols …..
With these few clicks, the symbol dialog box appears.
- Find the character you want to insert.
To easily find the degree icon in the symbol window, look in the upper right corner of the dialog box and select Subgroup from the drop-down list: Appendix Latin-1. The symbol of the diploma you want to insert is in this category and should appear.
- Select an icon and then click the Insert button.
It is also possible to double click on a symbol to insert it into the document.
To insert a degree symbol in Word using the Insert Symbols dialog box.
Method 5: Automatic word correction for degree sign
The diploma mark can also be entered using the Autocorrect function in Word.
This is a feature of MS Word that can be used to correct spelling errors such as these.
This AutoCorrection function allows you to assign an abbreviation to a degree sign (e.g., DGR).
So when you type DGR text, Word thinks you actually meant to type ° and automatically converts it to degrees for you.
See the illustration below :
This method is convenient because you can assign a custom label or key combination to a symbol and Word automatically inserts the symbol when you type the code.
Here are the steps to enter a diploma character in Word using AutoCorrect.
- On the Insert tab, go to the Symbols section and click on the Other symbols button …… The Symbols window appears.
- Find the diploma icon and press to select it.
- Press the AutoCorrect…. button. (AutoCorrection) to open the AutoCorrection window.
- In the Autocorrect dialog box, enter the following:
С : °
- Click Add, and then click OK.
Word now automatically inserts the degree symbol into your document when you type DGR.
However, below are some points to watch out for when using the autocorrect method to insert a degree sign.
- AutoCorrect distinguishes between upper and lower case letters. In other words, if you type dgr (lower case), Word will not convert it to degrees unless you type DGR (upper case).
- If there is text before or after the self-correction, Word considers it part of the text and therefore does not convert it to a degree sign. For example, the XDGR is not converted and the X DGR is converted to X°.
As you can see, there are several ways to insert or enter a diploma character in Word/Excel, with or without a keyboard.
My favorite method is copy and paste followed by a keyboard shortcut with a degree sign in Word for Windows and Mac. The alt-code method is also simple.
If you have any comments or questions about this badge guide, please send them to me in the comment box below.
Thanks for stopping by.
frequently asked questions
Where is the diploma symbol on the keyboard?
The degree sign is available on the Android keyboard under Symbols. Place the cursor where you want to enter the diploma symbol. Tap the text box (for example, the Message box) where you want to enter the diploma symbol. The keyboard should be displayed.
How do I create a diploma icon on my laptop?
How do I create a diploma symbol on a laptop without a numeric keyboard?
If you are using a laptop without a separate numeric keypad, use the Fn key to activate the part of the keyboard that serves as a numeric keypad. Hold down the Fn-Alt key and enter 0176.
Feedback,how to type degree symbol on chromebook,degree symbol in excel,degree symbol android,how put degree symbol in microsoft word,how to write degrees celsius,powerpoint degree symbol extra space,degree symbol with slash,degree symbol on facebook,hold 0 for degree,how to type degree symbol in android,how to type degree symbol in google form,how to type degree symbol on mac,how to type degree symbol on iphone,how to get the celsius symbol on word,how to type degree symbol in bluebeam,how to make a degree symbol on chromebook,degree symbol in google docs,how to type degree symbol on lenovo laptop,libreoffice degree symbol,how to write degree in powerpoint,angle symbol in mobile keyboard,where is the degree symbol on a chromebook,how to insert degree sign in ppt,how to put degree symbol on chromebook,excel degree symbol,degree symbol chemdraw mac,how to insert degree symbol in google docs,right angle copy and paste,how do you get a degree sign on a computer,Privacy settings,How Search works,how to type degree symbol on laptop,how to type degree symbol on laptop without number pad,how to type degree symbol in word,how to type degree symbol on dell laptop without number pad